Welcome to Madame Clarke's Coffee Bar & Restaurant.
Madame Clarke’s Ale and Porter Stores was one of the oldest public houses in Wolverhampton. In about 1760, Angel street was renamed king street and there is a record of a public house existing there.
In the 1820’s new building work took place and by 1926 King Street and Queen Street were completed. The existing building which is early 19th century constructed on an 18th century core, is now a grade two listed building. It ran continuously as an ale house and belonged to Atkinsons’s brewery before being taken over by Mitchells & Butlers in 1959.
It has long had a colourful repuattionas a house of ill repute, being frequented by “Ladies of the night” who under the watchful eye of Madame Clarke would chalk their fees on the soles of their shoes ready for a rapid rubbing out in the event of a police raid.
Madame Clarke’s had a succession of landlords between 1959 right up until it closed on the 11th June 1972it retained barrels as tables and sawdust was put down on the blue brick floor every morning. September 1986 saw the re-opening of Madame Clarke’s and it is now a licensed Restaurant and coffee shop which is rumoured to be haunted by the ghost of Madame Clarke. The current owners Andrew and Stacey have been here since April 2009 and we would like to welcome all old and new customers alike.